school me on 2.5 ton rockwell axles! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
PBB Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General 4x4 Discussion>school me on 2.5 ton rockwell axles!
xjtony 12:58 PM 08-29-2008
i need to be school'd on rockwells. The 2.5 ton toploader variety. I have a line on a set for cheap. Tires wheel driveshafts all that crap. So how do you make these things into a driver drop front axle and a centered rear?? also what about brakes on these things? I know to take the drums off and run a pinion brake is easiest. I was thinking of leaving the drums on the rear and doin pinion or wheel brakes on the front?? any help is appreciated!!
[Reply]
DRKelly 01:04 PM 08-29-2008
Search
[Reply]
guidolyons 01:04 PM 08-29-2008
uh...search much?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...light=rockwell

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...light=rockwell
[Reply]
xjtony 01:13 PM 08-29-2008
thanks! i called myself searching....
[Reply]
xjtony 06:09 PM 08-29-2008
god im goin crazy reading these 78 page threads...

So sorry i'm gonna ask a question:

How do you center the rear diff? Instead of whatever offset the center chunk is at...
[Reply]
iniviate 06:18 PM 08-29-2008
Originally Posted by xjtony:
How do you center the rear diff? Instead of whatever offset the center chunk is at...

it's amazingly simple since it's already centered.

the driveshaft is slightly offset to one side. if you want it slightly offset to the other side, just flip the chunk around.

the big bearing side is supposed to be the input side, but it doesn't really matter.
[Reply]
spaggyroe 08:20 PM 08-29-2008
Originally Posted by xjtony:
god im goin crazy reading these 78 page threads...

So sorry i'm gonna ask a question:

:-)
since I'm feeling generous....
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ransfer+screws
[Reply]
xjtony 11:08 PM 08-29-2008
Originally Posted by iniviate:
it's amazingly simple since it's already centered.

the driveshaft is slightly offset to one side. if you want it slightly offset to the other side, just flip the chunk around.

the big bearing side is supposed to be the input side, but it doesn't really matter.

So the rear axle is almost centered as it is?? I'm askin stupid questions cuz ive never seen a rockwell in person only pics on the internet. And the front can be turned around to achieve a driver drop axle? Do you simply swap the knuckles to opposite sides to get the steering in front of the axle or behind?
[Reply]
iniviate 06:26 AM 08-30-2008
yes
obviously
yes
yes
[Reply]
fatboyf150 06:36 AM 08-30-2008
if you want a driversdrop, all you got to do is turn the axle around. thats what i did with my 78 f250.
[Reply]
xjtony 11:04 AM 08-30-2008
alrite thanks. Last question:
Who makes a cheap pinion brake kit or wheel brake kit?, and does anyone else make a hy steer arm other than PSC?
[Reply]
lumberjack1986 11:14 AM 08-30-2008
http://diy4x.com/

Alot of people make their own.
[Reply]
fatboyf150 11:20 AM 08-30-2008
search is your friend, just got to look a little harder.
/forum/general-4x4-discussion/313836-links-rockwell-questions-info.html
[Reply]
intheworks 07:06 PM 08-30-2008
THERE STONG:-):-) AND YOU CAN HAVE 4 WHEEL STEER WITH SOME CASH
[Reply]
xjtony 11:12 PM 09-04-2008
okay so im learning about rockwells from yall here. The rockwell info thread is great!

I got one question:
So leaving the front hubs flipped out, do you flip the rear hubs out to match the front?

If so-- any links to rear hub flipping??

I'm tryin to make the front and rear the same width or close to it.
[Reply]
xjtony 11:46 AM 09-05-2008
?
[Reply]
Rockrenegade 01:22 PM 09-05-2008
You can flip the hubs in or out on both the front and rear. Just simply flip them around and bolt them back on.The reason the fronts are out, and the rear are in, is because on a 2.5 ton military truck they run dually hubs in the rear. You can't center a rear housing, only a front. To center a front just spin the chunk around, notch the housing and re-drill some of the holes that hold the chunk to the housing. Oh and hubs flipped in is 69.5", full width. Hubs out, about 9" wider.
[Reply]
Y-TOUGH 07:30 PM 09-05-2008
picture for help you .

You can flip the knuckles easy .

You can flip the center easy . Only 4 stud is good , re-drill other stud .

Wheel brake if you use a locker .

Sorry for my bad english .
[Reply]
spaggyroe 08:10 PM 09-05-2008
A few items to clarify...

1) Wheel brakes are NOT mandatory when using a locker. Some people report better braking with a welded dif or spool vs a locker, but pinion brakes most certainly do work with a locker. Most people do consider wheel brakes necessary if you are running rockwells on the street, regardless of the differential that you're running.

2) I did not have to grind or notch the housing when I rotated the chunk. Once again, go here....
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ransfer+screws
pay special attention to posts 8-14 and 47-48. It's really that easy.
[Reply]
Y-TOUGH 08:27 PM 09-05-2008
Yes for the housing , is a other method .

The wheel brake is not necesary if i run with a detroit locker ?

I thought if 1 wheel airborne , when i down a hill , the locker unlock and this wheel make a reverse rotation and lost my brake . NO ?

Thank you .
[Reply]
spaggyroe 08:41 PM 09-05-2008
Originally Posted by Y-TOUGH:
The wheel brake is not necesary if i run with a detroit locker ?
No. There are MANY rigs out there running detroit lockers with pinion brakes. I'm not knocking wheel brakes by any means, but they are not mandatory with a locker.
[Reply]
xjtony 10:05 PM 09-05-2008
Im just trying to get the width of the rear axle to almost the same as the front. In stock form the rear axle is narrower because they are suppose to be dual wheel. So i flipped the rear hubs around and now it seems wider than the front! WTF. Now i never claimed to be able to use a tape measure, cuz god i cant measure the same thing twice and come up with the same length. I have one rear hub out and one in, and that is 2" wider than the front on both sides.
[Reply]
TAWL_BOY 09:59 AM 09-06-2008
Do you have a narrowed front? Has the tube been cut and shortened to run two short side axle shafts?
[Reply]
xjtony 01:11 PM 09-06-2008
Originally Posted by TAWL_BOY:
Do you have a narrowed front? Has the tube been cut and shortened to run two short side axle shafts?
no, its still offset. Not narrowed. Maybe i just cant measure!
[Reply]
RebelRider 05:55 PM 09-06-2008
I run a detriot in the front with pinion brakes. It works fine for low speeds..................
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up