Texas has the worst-performing food-stamp program - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
PBB Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Chit-Chat>Texas has the worst-performing food-stamp program
paragon 10:32 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by :
Texas has the worst-performing food-stamp program in the nation, the Obama administration's top food stamp program official said.

Undersecretary of Agriculture Kevin Concannon aired his criticism Tuesday in Austin, where he was checking on the headway Texas is making in cleaning up a mess left from the state's failed privatization of its food-stamp program.

Texas had one of the quickest and most accurate food stamp application processing systems in the nation during the 1990s, Concannon said. The failed 2005 privatization resulted in "a five-year slide" in how quickly and accurately the state processes food stamp applications, he said.

The delays in the state's accurate processing of food stamp applications means the most-punished are middle-class Texans who recently lost their jobs and are seeking government help for the first time, Concannon said.

He told reporters that the state could be getting $1 billion more in federal food-stamp funds and serving 650,000 more food-stamp applicants if it increased its participation to the national rate of 67 percent. He said stamps now go to about 3 million Texans, about 55 percent of those eligible.

Texas supermarkets are losing $1 billion a year in food sales because of the shortcomings of the Texas program, Concannon said. Also, "there are still thousands and thousands of Texans who, if they lived elsewhere in the United States, would receive these same benefits," he said.

Concannon, who ran social service agencies in three states before joining the Obama administration, is urging Texas to scrap its fingerprinting requirement for food stamp applicants.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100113/..._turmoil_texas
[Reply]
Joe_W 10:36 AM 01-13-2010
Thats been in the news for awhile here, big mess going on
[Reply]
Mo 10:43 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by :
Texas has the worst-performing food-stamp program in the nation, the Obama administration's top food stamp program official said.

without reading the that whole article, I'd think that should be a point of pride
[Reply]
paragon 10:45 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by Mo:
without reading the that whole article, I'd think that should be a point of pride
that was my thought... then I read this:
Originally Posted by :
the state could be getting $1 billion more in federal food-stamp funds and serving 650,000 more food-stamp applicants if it increased its participation to the national rate of 67 percent. He said stamps now go to about 3 million Texans, about 55 percent of those eligible.

[Reply]
Mo 10:45 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by :
national rate of 67 percent

on food stamps???

are you fucking kidding me???
[Reply]
mudtoy67 10:45 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by :
Texas supermarkets are losing $1 billion a year in food sales because of the shortcomings of the Texas program
So those middle class people who didn't receive their food stamps left just didn't eat?:-)
[Reply]
Joe_W 10:46 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by Mo:
on food stamps???

are you fucking kidding me???
I believe it means 67% of those eligible participating
[Reply]
DieLucas! 10:47 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by :
Texas supermarkets are losing $1 billion a year in food sales because of the shortcomings of the Texas program, Concannon said.
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I forgot, food is for profit, not for meeting the basic needs of survival. Get fat people, it's your duty as a capitalistic, patriotic American!
[Reply]
Mo 10:50 AM 01-13-2010
holy shit... a quick google search shows 10-12 percent of the American population receives food stamps.
[Reply]
Black Sheep 10:54 AM 01-13-2010
food stamps are a fucking joke. while im inline to buy bare neccesties, I have to wait on the fat asses with the "lone star" card to buy Dr. pepper, steak, and doritos. either do away with the program or have a strict list of items you can buy.
[Reply]
Filthy McChevy 10:56 AM 01-13-2010
:-) If possible recipients don't like being fingerprinted, then maybe there would be even less applicants if DNA testing were required.:-)
[Reply]
rugger 11:00 AM 01-13-2010
My grandparents lived on government cheese and whatever else they could buy, grow, or kill. They made it just fine. Give fawkin people only cheese to eat, and I bet they figure out how to put other stuff on the table. Or, give them credits that can be used at a farmers' market. I'd support that if someone was truly in a bind.
[Reply]
JunkyTJ 11:02 AM 01-13-2010
I haven't heard of any more Texans starving than anyone else. Why is this considered a failure? What is their administrative costs of the program compared to other states?
[Reply]
toymoto 11:08 AM 01-13-2010
I was in line at Brookshire Bros. last weekend and there was a black gal checking out ahead of me. She had four annoying little shit asses with her, aged around 10-15yo. I noticed that most of the stuff she had was junk food and purple drank.

Anyways she left and the cashier (who was a black lady also, in her late 30's I guess) I shit you not, she says to me:

"Dat gal that jus left here, she spent $149 on junk. She gots $1189 balance on her lonestar card."

She had my attention at this point.

"I see them down at the club gettin drunk and they got an expedition with rims, but they got a gu'ment card with over a thousand dollars on it. They just some sorry assed n****rs!"

I agreed and thanked the lady working for her living.
[Reply]
Never Monday 11:08 AM 01-13-2010
It's a failure because 100% of the population isn't dependant on the .gov
[Reply]
PONY_DRIVER 11:12 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by toymoto:
I was in line at Brookshire Bros. last weekend and there was a black gal checking out ahead of me. She had four annoying little shit asses with her, aged around 10-15yo. I noticed that most of the stuff she had was junk food and purple drank.

Anyways she left and the cashier (who was a black lady also, in her late 30's I guess) I shit you not, she says to me:

"Dat gal that jus left here, she spent $149 on junk. She gots $1189 balance on her lonestar card."

She had my attention at this point.

"I see them down at the club gettin drunk and they got an expedition with rims, but they got a gu'ment card with over a thousand dollars on it. They just some sorry assed n****rs!"

I agreed and thanked the lady working for her living.

I'd have hugged that woman.
[Reply]
Dieselmh 11:13 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by toymoto:

Yep. If you ever want to get really, really pissed off, go hang out at the welfare office for a while. When I have to work on the circuits there, I'm surprised I don't have a stroke from the high blood pressure. :-) No matter the color, at least 75% of the people there drive vehicles that are only a couple of years old and wear name brand clothes that I can't afford. :-)
[Reply]
Blame Canada 11:13 AM 01-13-2010
In hind sight, those that are eligible (re:Need food stamps to support their family), should be able to receive it. Sucks that so many eligible people don't have access to it.

As I lost my job early last year, we cut all costs possible, within our controls. Yes, I still had my cell phone, which was on a 3 year contract, but I decreased my use of it so as not to pay anymore possible. I would have looked to sell it, had I not been able to find any work when I did.

With all the areas possible to cut, once one looses their job, I'll bet a food stamp program could just help those TRYING to get back on their feet, stretch any dollars they do have, just a little bit further.

We never used any assistance programs, and would rather not, but for some people, that could just help provide the help they need, before, they start to lose everything.
[Reply]
paragon 11:14 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER:
I'd have hugged that woman.
I'd given her some tongue :-)
[Reply]
TEX 11:14 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by DieLucas!:
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I forgot, food is for profit, not for meeting the basic needs of survival. Get fat people, it's your duty as a capitalistic, patriotic American!
That was the part I found funny. I guess those extra 650,000 people just starved since they obviously didn't buy any food on their own :-)
[Reply]
paragon 11:15 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by Blame Canada:
In hind sight, those that are eligible (re:Need food stamps to support their family), should be able to receive it. Sucks that so many eligible people don't have access to it.

As I lost my job early last year, we cut all costs possible, within our controls. Yes, I still had my cell phone, which was on a 3 year contract, but I decreased my use of it so as not to pay anymore possible. I would have looked to sell it, had I not been able to find any work when I did.

With all the areas possible to cut, once one looses their job, I'll bet a food stamp program could just help those TRYING to get back on their feet, stretch any dollars they do have, just a little bit further.

We never used any assistance programs, and would rather not, but for some people, that could just help provide the help they need, before, they start to lose everything.
I think you are grossly confused.

eligibility has nothing to do with need in order to support one's family
[Reply]
Joe_W 11:51 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy:
:-) If possible recipients don't like being fingerprinted, then maybe there would be even less applicants if DNA testing were required.:-)
As I've read, it isn't the recipients pissing and moaning about fingerprint requirements, it's the fed :-)
[Reply]
Terrys_85_Toy 11:54 AM 01-13-2010
One of my coworkers was in line at Wawa (convenience store) yesterday and some fat black lady was paying for her 3 subs, 3 packs of chips and a 2 liter of cola with her EBT card (food stamp card).

:-)

You know, necessities.
[Reply]
CJHeap 11:59 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by Black Sheep:
food stamps are a fucking joke. while im inline to buy bare neccesties, I have to wait on the fat asses with the "lone star" card to buy Dr. pepper, steak, and doritos. either do away with the program or have a strict list of items you can buy.
You are not suppose to be able to use LoneStar for junk food. Steak and lobster, yes, Doritos no.

Originally Posted by Joe_W:
As I've read, it isn't the recipients pissing and moaning about fingerprint requirements, it's the fed :-)
That is because so many Illegals are on Lone Star and their kids are on free lunch and breakfast. They do not want to deprive them :-)
[Reply]
El Jefe 12:07 PM 01-13-2010
The stories about food stamp abuse are funny, yet infuriating at the same time.

I knew this couple a few years ago that worked the welfare system in a way that still boggles my mind; they had 3 children together, but were not married. They lived together in low income subsidized housing and paid $150 a month in rent for this new, 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment. The young lady didn't work, but she went to school and received MUCH financial aid-generally to the tune of about $6000 per semester (after tuition and books were paid). Additionally, she received food stamps monthly in the amount of roughly $750...she was a 'single mother' after all. :-) Add to that the Earned Income Credit and other tax shit she received, that totalled about 6-7 grand every year. So, all told, mom is essentially taking home about $2250 a month (in western Nebraska). The baby's dad had some knockaround jobs, sometimes on unemployment, but generally always brought home around $1500 a month or so.

So, we have mom making $2250, dad making $1500 for a total of 3750 a month average take home. Consider also they pay no utilities, pay $150 in rent, and that's it.

What do we end up with? Dad driving a BRAND FUCKING NEW Escalade, mom driving a BRAND FUCKING NEW CTS. Neither of which was insured, but by God both had vanity plates. :-)

I know all this because they bragged about it nonstop, I saw the vehicles, and I had kids the same age that played with their kids. When you can get away with it, why change it?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up