Suspension Seats...worth it? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
PBB Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Jeep - Non Hardcore>Suspension Seats...worth it?
THECJWAY 09:48 AM 02-04-2011
I'm considering putting a pair of suspension seats in my tj. I have a couple of questions for those of you who have made the upgrade.

First, is there a $1000 difference in upgrading to suspension seats? I'm tired of feeling like I just went 3 rounds with Chuck Liddell after a day of wheeling.

Also, should I drop a grand and go with a pair of Mastercrafts or is there no real difference in those over PRPs or Corbeaus or Smittybuilts?
[Reply]
y2knole 09:53 AM 02-04-2011
def worth it.

check the 'race trim' seats for sale in the vendors - misc forum.

they're a knock-off mastercraft, and some folks have said good things about them. (but Ive never seen em myself)

prp, corbeau, mastercraft, twisted stitch are all primo brands. its a matter of personal preference between those names.
[Reply]
REDLYNER 09:59 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by THECJWAY:
I'm considering putting a pair of suspension seats in my tj. I have a couple of questions for those of you who have made the upgrade.

First, is there a $1000 difference in upgrading to suspension seats? I'm tired of feeling like I just went 3 rounds with Chuck Liddell after a day of wheeling.

Also, should I drop a grand and go with a pair of Mastercrafts or is there no real difference in those over PRPs or Corbeaus or Smittybuilts?
If you are getting seat brackets and harnesses too, you will spend closer to $1300, not $1000.

It's hard to say if it is "worth it" to someone over another. My wife sat in the Mastercraft seats at EJS last year and said she didn't want any other brand in my TJ, so that pretty much made my decision easy.

I have zero regrets. The seats are amazing! Easy to install and are so comfortable on the trail that it is hard to imagine I tolerated 4 years in the stock seats. I highly recommend.

Couple of shots of them installed:

[Reply]
CronusTRD 10:04 AM 02-04-2011
I have PRPs in my YJ and Racetrim in my Tacoma. The PRPs are higher quality and more comfortable than the RaceTrim seats. I would buy PRPs again.

I have sat in a buddy's Mastercraft seats for a 600 mile drive and they were incredibly comfortable. A step up from the PRPs, but not by much.
[Reply]
hurleygo3 10:14 AM 02-04-2011
I have both PRP and TwistedStitch. The Twisted are a lot nicer. With belts and 2 seats your are looking at $700.
[Reply]
DutchVDub 11:14 AM 02-04-2011
My neighbor has Corbeau seats in his YJ and they are very nice. I was amazed at how comfy a ride they made for, especially as he his SOA on somewhat stiff RE springs. The other nice thing was when I flopped his rig they held me in very nicely, I didn't just fall out onto the floor.

I know that's what I'm saving up for next, is a set of suspension seats. I'll probably go with the Corbeau or PRP's myself.
[Reply]
goldswim5 11:24 AM 02-04-2011
I've got fixed back Mastercrafts in my TJ and they were well worth it. I paid closer to $800 since I had them customize the colors. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.
[Reply]
370 11:51 PM 02-04-2011
corbeau makes a jeep specific suspension seat they are about $249 each. i wanna say they call them the JP series seat.. they bolt directly onto YJ or TJ seat brakcets if i remember correctly
[Reply]
370 11:53 PM 02-04-2011
http://www.corbeau.com/products/susp...seats/baja_jp/

i was wrong they bolt into CJ's and YJ's directly to factory seat brackets and they are $229 each
[Reply]
THECJWAY 06:15 AM 02-05-2011
Originally Posted by REDLYNER:
Where is that harness bar from?
[Reply]
75PPE 06:53 AM 02-05-2011
Avoid Smittybilt XRC suspension seats like the plague. I have them in my YJ and while they're comfortable, the finish is horrible. My buddy has them in his XJ as well and both covers are worn through.

They are definitely worth it. Your back will certainly thank you for it.
[Reply]
ferguson65 07:37 AM 02-05-2011
Originally Posted by 370:
http://www.corbeau.com/products/susp...seats/baja_jp/

i was wrong they bolt into CJ's and YJ's directly to factory seat brackets and they are $229 each
I have these in my CJ and would buy them again. They replaced some plastic race seats that really beat you to hell. I went with these because I'm right at the max size for the standard size baja seat, and the extra wide ones would have required me to lose my center console. The only issue I have is they could use a bit more padding around the frame in the hip area, but you really only notice that getting in and out.

Scott
[Reply]
VB CJ 5.7 08:51 AM 02-05-2011
I got a set of the milspec mastercrafts... they save your ass on a long ride. Definitely know the difference after a full day in stock seats and suspension seats.
[Reply]
rugby 09:03 AM 02-05-2011
i have mastercraft in my tj and love them. the only complant i have is it is a pain in the butt for a dd. the seats i have a fixed back with the head rest. the side bars make you look like a drunk retard getting out of them. other than that i love then and would put them in my GMC truck if they were not so pricey.

brandon
[Reply]
four27_cobra 09:26 AM 02-05-2011
I've got a pair of the heated bestop seats in my jeep, non suspension type. Can't say they are better than suspension seats, but heated at 500 for the pair is alot better than 1K, and they have been quite comfortable for me.
[Reply]
REDLYNER 06:03 PM 02-05-2011
It is Rock Hard's harness bar.
[Reply]
thordehr 06:39 PM 02-05-2011
I have one of those harness bars for sale if you're interested. PM me for details.
[Reply]
robert-r 02:25 PM 02-06-2011
I have the Mastercraft rs bajas in my rig w/ harnesses. They are great. Went with the lumbar support & headrests. The lumbar support sure makes them nice.
The headrests are kinda junk - wouldn't get those again. Since I added a harness bar, I can't use the recliner feature much - still it allows for some degree of adjustment to the back of the seat & they will fold forward if desired.
It's worth doing for the safety & comfort they provide. The rig has been on it's side a few times & they hold you real nice.
[Reply]
cagle 02:59 PM 02-06-2011
Originally Posted by thordehr:
I have one of those harness bars for sale if you're interested. PM me for details.
If he doesn't I might if it will fit a 05 TJ/LJ stock cage. Will you be at KOH?
[Reply]
370 03:12 PM 02-06-2011
in the pics it looks to be mounted to a stock TJ B pillar
[Reply]
DutchVDub 03:25 PM 02-06-2011
Just an FYI, as I was searching for suspension seats I noticed that http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/ offers free shipping on Corbeau seats if you buy 2 or more.

And PolyPerformance has free shipping on TwistedStitch and Beard seats
[Reply]
oldjeep 05:15 PM 02-06-2011
I've got the Racetrims and have been really happy with them. Great seat for the price.
[Reply]
jeep_87_cherokee 05:06 AM 02-12-2011
from being the cheap ass i am i went with the super stylish PLASTIC racing seats you find in Jegs or Summit. oh man they make you shit look like its flying when its sitting still, but fuck man i learned my lesson there. after ONE day oh wheeling i was ready to toss those seats out and sit on a 5 gallon bucket. my uncle was with me that day and calls those seats kidney killers. after that day i was looking for a real seat so i sat my ass in some Corbeau and Racetrim seats and found that they feel like a lazyboy recliner compared to the junk i had. but then i cheaped out and bought some JC Whittney garage pro suspension seat and have yet to see how they are gonna hold up, and if you buy a set they send sliders with them
[Reply]
y2knole 06:11 AM 02-12-2011
if you're a bigger boy, the PRP Daily Driver seats cannot be beat for comfort. lower side bolsters to spill out over! :-)
[Reply]
blugreenformula 10:16 PM 02-13-2011
I love my Beards, kinda hard to clime into when its sitting laying on its side, but the seats are great!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up