AR-15 Roll Pin Removal - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
PBB Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Outdoor Sports and Recreation>AR-15 Roll Pin Removal
wv4runner 08:08 PM 04-01-2009
Just received my lower receiver and LPK from Pete, and in an excited hurry to assemble it, I screwed up. :-)

I installed the trigger guard backwards and put the roll pin in the hole by the magazine as opposed to in front of the grip. So my question is how do I remove this blind roll pin. It's only sticking out a couple millimeters and in there pretty tight.

I read online a little and heard of a tool designed specifically for this task. Something you pound into the roll pin and then it latches on with barbs and you pull it out. I can't seem to find it anywhere though, anyone know the name of it?

I tried pulling it out with channel locks with no luck, might try vise grips.

Also, the safety selector will only go about half way from fire to safe unless the hammer is cocked. Is this normal? Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks
[Reply]
Numidian 08:21 PM 04-01-2009
Originally Posted by wv4runner:
Just received my lower receiver and LPK from Pete, and in an excited hurry to assemble it, I screwed up. :-)

I installed the trigger guard backwards and put the roll pin in the hole by the magazine as opposed to in front of the grip. So my question is how do I remove this blind roll pin. It's only sticking out a couple millimeters and in there pretty tight.

I read online a little and heard of a tool designed specifically for this task. Something you pound into the roll pin and then it latches on with barbs and you pull it out. I can't seem to find it anywhere though, anyone know the name of it?

I tried pulling it out with channel locks with no luck, might try vise grips.

Also, the safety selector will only go about half way from fire to safe unless the hammer is cocked. Is this normal? Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks
Dunno about the roll pin, but the safety is normal, thats how they always are.
[Reply]
Schmozilla 08:21 PM 04-01-2009
The safety thing is normal, it is how it was designed.

Are you sure the reigger guard roll pin is blind? I just looked and mine is not blind. If I was in your spot, I would drill it out, and use a slightly larger pin.
[Reply]
wv4runner 08:30 PM 04-01-2009
Originally Posted by Schmozilla:
The safety thing is normal, it is how it was designed.

Are you sure the reigger guard roll pin is blind? I just looked and mine is not blind. If I was in your spot, I would drill it out, and use a slightly larger pin.
It's not blind if you put it in the correct hole, which I did not. :-)
[Reply]
usmcdoc14 08:49 PM 04-01-2009
screw a screw into it and pull it out?
[Reply]
urbanmuddboger 09:35 PM 04-01-2009
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14:
screw a screw into it and pull it out?
i see what you are trying to say, but wont the screw swell the roll pin and make it even harder to pull out?

i would try vise grips. but if that dont work, drill it out to the next size, and go to the hardware store and buy the next sized roll pin
[Reply]
Numidian 09:38 PM 04-01-2009
How about just drilling just the roll pin, then trying to pull it out, maybe you can get it to crush in on itself and come out that way?

I think he's going to have problems if he drills out the lower considering that hole doesn't actually take a roll pin, but it takes the front of the trigger guard, which you can't just buy one with a diff sized pin
[Reply]
urbanmuddboger 09:46 PM 04-01-2009
right i forgot about that the little button goes there so you can swing the trigger guard down
[Reply]
usmcdoc14 10:04 PM 04-01-2009
How about not giving a fuck because NOBODY swings down the trigger guard to use with gloves? :-)
[Reply]
Numidian 10:12 PM 04-01-2009
Thats why it swings down? I never did understand that haha
[Reply]
Chris 11:02 PM 04-01-2009
Ha...ha, ha, ha....what an idiot!!!!

I just got my package from Pete tonight and did THE EXACT SAME THING!!. :-):-) The roll pin will not go in all the way into the blind hole, so, I sprayed some WD_40 in the roll pin, held the lower between my legs, pulled on the roll pin with a pair of needle nose pliers, and used my other hand to swing the trigger guard back and forth and the pin backed out slowly. Then I cleaned up the tweaked end with a grinder and installed it right.

Doc, your assembly threads needs help with the hammer installation, you don't really show how it goes in. I had to refer to barfcom.
[Reply]
D_JEEPER 11:27 PM 04-01-2009
i completely forgot about the swing down trigger guard!

wow....
[Reply]
4in100 06:07 AM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by Chris:

Doc, your assembly threads needs help with the hammer installation, you don't really show how it goes in. I had to refer to barfcom.
If you can't get the trigger guard in right the first time, you shouldn't mess with anything that has potential to make things go boom. :-)
[Reply]
Chris 06:32 AM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by 4in100:
If you can't get the trigger guard in right the first time, you shouldn't mess with anything that has potential to make things go boom. :-)
I was tired, blow me.:-)
[Reply]
wv4runner 06:49 AM 04-02-2009
Ha...ha, ha, ha....what an idiot!!!!

I just got my package from Pete tonight and did THE EXACT SAME THING!!. :-):-) The roll pin will not go in all the way into the blind hole, so, I sprayed some WD_40 in the roll pin, held the lower between my legs, pulled on the roll pin with a pair of needle nose pliers, and used my other hand to swing the trigger guard back and forth and the pin backed out slowly. Then I cleaned up the tweaked end with a grinder and installed it right.

LOL :-), now I don't feel so bad. I sprayed a little Remoil on it and was wiggling it with pliers, but my needle nose pliers are stripped and couldn't get a good bite.

I think I'll try again tonight with some fresh needle nose pliers and vise grips.
[Reply]
aloharover 12:06 PM 04-02-2009
If it doesn't work let me know.

Yeah, thats right, I did this once too :-)

What I did was to take a cut off wheel and cut the trigger guard. Be easier to explain with a photo. But basically you cut through the guard and the pin about 1-2/32" in from the receiver. Cut front to rear.
You will then be able to twist the TG out of position.

I can send you a new TG. have a pile of them from all the RRA and magpul TG replacements.

I also have like 50 A2 pistol grips if anyone wants some.
Attached: CMT004-s.jpg (2.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Doc Holiday13 12:19 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14:
How about not giving a fuck because NOBODY swings down the trigger guard to use with gloves? :-)
Well then WTF did I get the winter trigger guard from magpul!!!!:-):-):-) j/k

I haven't bought one yet but I do like the looks of them, plus I think there is a company that sells them for less
[Reply]
SeaBass44 12:55 PM 04-02-2009

youtube
great video

part 1
YouTube - Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 1 of 2
part 2
YouTube - Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 2 of 2
[Reply]
ROCKILLER 01:03 PM 04-02-2009
Sand off the end real good and weld some other similar sized material, like a nail, onto the end and use that to pull it out.
[Reply]
Doc Holiday13 02:17 PM 04-02-2009
Well hot damn. The only thing I use to build lowers is a set of flat jaw channel locks, finishing nail, armorers wrench, tape, and a long allen key for the grip
[Reply]
Chris 02:32 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13:
Well hot damn. The only thing I use to build lowers is a set of flat jaw channel locks, finishing nail, armorers wrench, tape, and a long allen key for the grip
I built mine using two tube socks, a tube of KY, a small bag of catnip and a 6" adjustable wrench.

Oh and the aforementioned needle nose pliers.
[Reply]
wv4runner 08:30 PM 04-02-2009
Well, different pair of needle nose pliers was still no good. I pressed on it pretty hard before I realized it was in the wrong hole:-). Still need to try some vise grips, but I don't have high hopes.

Might see if I can find a drill bit that will bore it out so it's real thin and will crush easily. I don't think I could easily or securely weld anything to that tiny roll pin, especially without boogering up my lower.

Pete, good to know you have extra trigger guards. I appreciate the offer, as cutting it may definitely be involved in rectifying this situation.

I was wondering why the trigger guard wasn't just integrated into the lower, at least I learned something out of this ordeal. :-)
[Reply]
Protecsafari 09:49 PM 04-02-2009
A lot of effort wasted IMHO.

Easy to cut the TG close to the pin, then take out the center section, to pull each remnant part inward and keep the receiver holes at proper dim.

Sorry man, it is kinda funny.............if one just looks at the parts it should have been obvious how to put the thing in.

The fact that this is on some kinda hardcore fab/modification 4x4 site makes it even more funny.

What next? Somebody gonna arsebang their old lady for 5 years and ask for fertility doctor recommendations?

Really, I can kinda sorta maybe see making such a mistake on the AR assembly........but it's such a bonehead move, it should have been fixed on the quiet (not rocket science).

Asking for a fix................
[Reply]
Numidian 10:02 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by Protecsafari:
A lot of effort wasted IMHO.

Easy to cut the TG close to the pin, then take out the center section, to pull each remnant part inward and keep the receiver holes at proper dim.

Sorry man, it is kinda funny.............if one just looks at the parts it should have been obvious how to put the thing in.

The fact that this is on some kinda hardcore fab/modification 4x4 site makes it even more funny.

What next? Somebody gonna arsebang their old lady for 5 years and ask for fertility doctor recommendations?
So sorry... I forgot you're perfect in every way and have never made a mistake :-)

Originally Posted by :
some kinda hardcore fab/modification 4x4 site
Wow way to nail it down there.... Why are you here anyway? A quick search of your posts shows a whole 5 posts not in OSR.... 1 in the classifieds(which was also your first post....you came here to sell your stock Jeep rims :-)), 1 in non-hardcore tech, 2 in mountain bikes and 1 in chit chat.... :-)
[Reply]
SeaBass44 10:10 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by Numidian:
So sorry... I forgot you're perfect in every way and have never made a mistake :-)

Wow way to nail it down there.... Why are you here anyway? A quick search of your posts shows a whole 5 posts not in OSR.... 1 in the classifieds(which was also your first post....you came here to sell your stock Jeep rims :-)), 1 in non-hardcore tech, 2 in mountain bikes and 1 in chit chat.... :-)
ignore him, we do:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up