Cabelas won't ship fishing spoons to California - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
PBB Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Outdoor Sports and Recreation>Cabelas won't ship fishing spoons to California
Vortec_Cruiser 12:14 AM 03-07-2010
Earlier tonight I went to Cabelas online site and tried to place an order for a bunch of their spoons. Since they are on sale, I wanted to get a good selection. I go to checkout and enter my billing and shipping info. Up pops a message that says they can't ship the spoons to my specified shipping address in California. No explanation is given, and I'm thinking these must be considered some kind of dangerous weapon. Maybe the hooks are too sharp or the surface gives off a laser-like reflection. Anyway, I give them a call, and speak to a very nice young lady in their ordering department. She is as perplexed as I am, and has to talk to her supervisor, who says the paint on the spoons contains lead and can't be shipped to California. Evidently, the factory in China is still using lead-based paint. :-) BPS, here I come.
[Reply]
buttrap 12:34 AM 03-07-2010
Well as its not legal to ship BBs to Kali I think they get a bit defensive on shipping anyting to that soclialist peoples republic.
[Reply]
Citzen_Hawk 01:52 AM 03-07-2010
Im near cabelas in Ft worth if you need a middle man
[Reply]
XJ/CJ 04:51 AM 03-07-2010
HaHaHa.... Straw purchase for fishing spoons:-)
[Reply]
Vortec_Cruiser 08:56 AM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by Citzen_Hawk:
Im near cabelas in Ft worth if you need a middle man
I appreciate the help, but I'm just going to pick up some spoons at Bass Pro Shops today. We don't have a Cabelas in So. California, but we do have a BPS five miles down the road. :-)
[Reply]
Vortec_Cruiser 08:58 AM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by XJ/CJ:
Yeah, I'd probably have the feds at my front door if I did that. :-)
[Reply]
operose 10:54 AM 03-07-2010
My buddy tried to order some split shot from them today when he bought a new pole ... wouldn't ship to NY for the same reason - they contain lead

Good stuff
[Reply]
Yota Up 10:59 AM 03-07-2010
WTF? Are people making automatic weapons with fishing spoons now or something?
And if so, only CA people have figured out how to do it?

Maybe if we all slam our heads against a brick wall 50 times we'll be able to understand this.
[Reply]
Yota Up 11:00 AM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by operose:
My buddy tried to order some split shot from them today when he bought a new pole ... wouldn't ship to NY for the same reason - they contain lead

Good stuff
So...are pencils banned, too?
[Reply]
Diesel-Power 11:05 AM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by Yota Up:
So...are pencils banned, too?
Why would graphite be banned? :-)
[Reply]
operose 11:10 AM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by Diesel-Power:
Why would graphite be banned? :-)
ICE BURN! :-)
[Reply]
Fishslayer 11:41 AM 03-07-2010
Are they full auto Airsoft spoons?

Do they have double stack hooks?

How 'bout pistol grips? You know how the PRK feels about pistol grips...

Gawd, I kill me...:-)
[Reply]
bigun 07:02 PM 03-07-2010
I had the same thing happen with a couple of knives I ordered from Sportsmans Guide seems since the blades were longer than 2.5 inches long and can't be shipped to Co.!
[Reply]
DIY4X 08:57 PM 03-07-2010
Californians, try to order a walter filtration unit from cabelas and have it delivered to your address in california. Same goes for Iowans.

Not specifically cabelas either. Just one I ran into while trying to get something from cabelas.
[Reply]
Doc Holiday13 10:10 PM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by XJ/CJ:
Its sad our world has come to that
[Reply]
Vortec_Cruiser 10:18 PM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13:
Its sad our world has come to that
x2

It's nice to know the Liberals are protecting us from ourselves. :-)
[Reply]
Red Dwarf 06:12 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by DIY4X:
Californians, try to order a walter filtration unit from cabelas and have it delivered to your address in california. Same goes for Iowans.

Not specifically cabelas either. Just one I ran into while trying to get something from cabelas.
From the Berkey Water Filter Systems website:

UPDATED: January 1, 2010.

Due to Iowa state regulations, where they outline that water systems that have more than a two filter capacity should comply to their under counter mountable category we cannot ship to these states. Berkey water filters are intended for counter top use only, and there fore don't comply with these state regulatory guidelines.

Due to California's vague and conflicting laws regarding lead testing, Berkey is unwilling to sell their products in California. The laws conflict with each other and leave much to interpretation. Berkey is not willing to risk decades of sound business practices and a healthy company to threats of lawsuits that COULD possibly arise from these conflicting laws. When the state of California gets their legislation correct, Berkey fully intends to sell in the state again.

We know, its a total joke, but we have to comply. So we recommend that you order your system anyway, but ship it to a friend outside of the state, and then have them forward it to you. You lose virtually nothing by doing this because we offer free shipping on all of your systems.

Bizarre example of the world we live in. :-)

To the original topic, someone in CA probably noted that there is a tiny amount of lead in the paint on those spoons, which could be ingested by a child when allowed to chew on the spoon. Or, over hundreds of years of reckless fishermen using those spoons in Lake BFE, the lead level could rise to a point of being measurable.

I work in water quality - some days the stupidity gets so great I want to jump off the roof.
[Reply]
SilverZuk 06:12 AM 03-08-2010
And people make fun of WV. :-)
Please stay where you are, don't come here. We are a bunch of backwoods, inbred, drug addicted hillbillies.
[Reply]
paragon 06:21 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by Vortec_Cruiser:
She is as perplexed as I am, and has to talk to her supervisor, who says the paint on the spoons contains lead and can't be shipped to California.
how do people in California start their vehicles without batteries?
[Reply]
Gozuki 07:59 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by paragon:
Jumper cables from Az, duh.
[Reply]
Sully 08:26 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by paragon:
[Reply]
DavidVanVorous 09:36 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by Vortec_Cruiser:
Earlier tonight I went to Cabelas online site and tried to place an order for a bunch of their spoons. Since they are on sale, I wanted to get a good selection. I go to checkout and enter my billing and shipping info. Up pops a message that says they can't ship the spoons to my specified shipping address in California. No explanation is given, and I'm thinking these must be considered some kind of dangerous weapon. Maybe the hooks are too sharp or the surface gives off a laser-like reflection. Anyway, I give them a call, and speak to a very nice young lady in their ordering department. She is as perplexed as I am, and has to talk to her supervisor, who says the paint on the spoons contains lead and can't be shipped to California. Evidently, the factory in China is still using lead-based paint. :-) BPS, here I come.
Didn't ya hear, CA slipped a bill thru that bans chemicals brought into the state...:-) :-)

D.
[Reply]
flip124 09:40 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by SilverZuk:
And people make fun of WV. :-)
Please stay where you are, don't come here. We are a bunch of backwoods, inbred, drug addicted hillbillies.
It's true. I've driven HWY 50 all the way through. I've never seen so many confederate flags in my life.
[Reply]
zukiboy 11:52 AM 03-08-2010
Funny thing is WV mostly supplied troops to the union. They really are backasswards there :-)

Originally Posted by flip124:
It's true. I've driven HWY 50 all the way through. I've never seen so many confederate flags in my life.

[Reply]
AIRBORNEDF 02:21 PM 03-08-2010
Can you buy lead sinkers and have THEM shipped to Cali?:-)
I guess they dont want the juvenile fish to get lead poisening?:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up